Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Lost & Found

Do you recall a time, not too long ago, when you were feeling passionately about something? And you constantly have those sudden urges to take on new undertakings and nothing is too daunting? I sure did, a lot of crazy things, big and small. The good old days where I had auditioned for a movie, learnt Taekwondo, picked up cross-stitching, took part in the Pyramid Game on TV, wrote to penpals all over the world, started rollerblading, bought a guitar (and stinks at it)…what happened to these impulses? The fiery passions that we once possessed got lost along the way as we grow up. The corporate world, and the responsibilities and struggles that come with age had robbed us of our true selves and the fire we once had in life. Since joining the workforce, we find our ‘interests’ converging as we concern ourselves with:

- coming up with the best ‘elevator talk’
- being politically correct
- pleasing the boss
- networking intensively and effectively
- finding ways to be ahead of the rat race

I got to know this guy recently. He’s unlike any I’ve ever known (in a long time): unique and untainted by the corporate evils. What I saw in him is a quality I greatly admire and lack: the ability to remain true to himself. He had gone through what I’m going through (corporate distress and life struggles), except things were a lot worse for him. Yet he had triumphed through all these without ever losing sight of who he is and where his passions lie. He was never lost and he never compromised. This takes a great deal of focus and courage. Inspired, I’m trying to find back the old me, get back in touch with my old self. Watch me, the fire will be rekindled
.

No comments: